Is your home filled with smoke from the cigarette, cigarette odor, cooking fumes, or even wildfire smoke? Are you looking for the best air purifier for smoke in 2020 that can effectively serve this need? Look no further, you are in the right place. Smoke is an air pollutant that can deny you and your family the conducive breathing environment that you may so be looking for.
Smoke is a combination of invisible particles suspended in the air. The invisible particles pose profoundly serious health risk conditions like asthma, nose and throat irritation, bronchitis, and lung damage. Besides, such particles when absorbed into the bloodstream effect and causes heart problems.
We need fresh air every time we breathe. To achieve this, we must get rid of these particles in the air that we breathe. The ideal way to deal with smoke is by getting the best air purifier for smoke that is perfectly suited for that environment, for the right price, and the best value for your money. It is for this reason that this article gives honest reviews and base comparisons for all the air purifiers in this category so that you are guaranteed the best.
Table of Contents
- Review of the best air purifiers for smoke
- 1) Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
- 2) LEVOIT LV-H126 Air Purifier for Home
- 3) Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier B400B1
- 4) LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier
- 5) RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
- 6) Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 7) Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- 8) Bulex HEPA Air Purifier
- 9) Germ Guardian AC4100 Air Purifier
- 10) Airthereal APH260 Air Purifier
- 11) Alen BreatheSmart 75
- 12) IQAIR GC MULTI GAS
- 13) Dyson Pure Cool, TP04
Review of the best air purifiers for smoke
These are the best air purifiers for smoke
1) Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
Are you looking for the best air purifier for smoke that can cover a large room and equally eliminate that troublesome cigarette smoke, cooking fumes, and wildfire smoke but also give you that quality air to your desire? Coway AIRMEGA 400S air is a real deal. It is considered one of the best air purifiers for smoke and smokers. The air purifier has autonomous smart mode features and real-time air quality monitoring that gives the user the surety of working throughout the clock.
AIRMEGA 400S comes with two pre-filters and two Max2 HEPA filter. The filter aims to remove smoke and fumes from the air. This it does by employing a 4 stage filtration process enabling the air cleaner to cover a very wide area changing room air twice per hour while removing 99.97 pollutants. Its dual-side air inlet and a front AQ display indicator and an adjustable pollution sensor sensitivity aid the cleaner to give you a very accurate detection of the air quality.
- CADR rating of 340 Dust, 350 Smoke, and 400 Pollen
- Weight – 24.7 pounds
- Filter- Pre-filter, True HEPA, and an active carbon filter
- Noise level of 52dB
- Smart Controls
- 4x air change rate per every 15 minutes
- Automatically adjusts fan and air-filtration speed for auto, sleep, and eco settings based on real-time air quality conditions.
- Has a built-in timer
- Real-time Air Quality Monitoring
- Dual side air inlet
- It is Alexa Compatible
- A pre-filter and a 2 Max Filter
- Very many negative reviews for its application.
2) LEVOIT LV-H126 Air Purifier for Home
For the lovers of fresh air, this is your ideal choice. Its lightweight design makes it ideal and convenient to move around occupying minimal space hence one of the best air purifiers for smoke. Whether inside your living room spread, atop a small nightstand, or next to your workstation. Besides, gives you the ability to choose low, medium, or high-speed fan settings.
LEVOIT LV-H126 is 100% ozone free, does not use UV or ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant. It has a 3 Stage Filtration System: The Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter work together to remove 99. 9% of smoke, odor, cooking fumes allergies, mold spores, and pet dander. It can filter particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger air pollution of PM 2.5.
- Dimensions: 10.5 x 6.8 x 7.9 inches
- Compact Size, Modern Style
- 3 stage filtrations: Activated carbon filter, pre-filter, and True HEPA
- Noise level: 32 decibels
- 100% Ozone-free
- 3 Fan Speeds: Easily turn a dial on the front panel to adjust the air to your preference.
- Weight: 5.49 pounds
- Filter Reminder Wheel
- Its compact size and modern style making it easily portable
- Filter changing reminder wheel
- Low noise level considering its noise of 32 Decibels
- Over 99.9% filtration efficiency
- It gets a bit noisier on level 3
3) Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier B400B1
If you are looking for an air purifier that is designed for your everyday air quality, capable of dealing with wildfire smoke, highway motor fumes, and cigarette smoke from smokers Austin Air HealthMate is your choice. This air cleaner ranks among the best air purifiers for smoke due to its high and efficient quality filtration process
It has a 4-stage filtration process consisting of large particles pre-filter in stage 1. These are large particles that are easily seen by naked eyes such as dust, hair, and dander. Stage 2 is a medium particle pre-filter. These consist of small to medium size particles such as molds and spores. Stage 3 consists of activated carbon and zeolite that acts on gases, chemicals, and odors. Lastly, stage 4 is a True Medical Grade Hepa that acts on particles larger than 0.3 Microns.
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 14.5 x 23 inches
- 4 stage filtrations process with a true Health Grade Hepa Filter
- 3-speed settings for fan, 360-degree intake system draws air into all sides of the unit, passing air through a 4-stage filter
- Weight: 47 pounds
- 5-year warranty
- Ideal for rooms of up to more than 780 cubic inches
- Reliable on odor elimination
- 5-year warranty
- Lessens nighttime allergies and asthma attack
- Designed for highly contaminated indoor air conditions
- Extremely effective at removing particles in the air including formaldehyde, elements of smoke, dust, and pollens
- Exceptional capacity for removing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Filters viruses and bacteria
- HEPA filtration ensures over 99.9% success
- Fairly loud on high setting
4) LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier
If you are looking for something to revitalize and refresh your living room then Levoit LV-Pur Air 131 purifier is your ideal partner. It works well to eliminate smoke and odor using its huge honeycomb activated carbon filter and True HEPA filters. The air purifier has a purifying efficiency 30% higher and a purifying speed faster than other ordinary air cleaners. It’s a perfect air choice for cigarette smokers.
The 3-stage filter, a Pre-Filter, True HEPA, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter remove 99. 97% of smoke, odor, and fumes. This it does by cleaning the air 4.5 times per hour for 360 sq. ft room, making it perfect for living room, bedroom, or even offices. Also, it is embedded with a smart sensor that determines the air quality and automatically adjusts the fan settings for ultimate functioning.
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 7.2 x 18.5 inches
- Filtration: 3-stage (pre-filter, True HEPA, activated carbon filter)
- Noise Level: 27 decibels
- Timer: 1 to 12 hours
- CADR: 230
- 3 fan Speed
- Sleep Mode
- Weight: 11.24 pounds
- Changes air 4.5 times every hour
- Wi-Fi and Alexa compatible
- Auto Mode
- Filter replacement indicator
- Rated by Energy Star as one of the best energy-saving air purifier
- automated air quality smart sensor
- Uses efficient 3-stage filtration
- Quiet enough to function while people are sleeping
- Serves small and medium rooms of up to 360 sq. ft.
- In comparison to peers, it is a little bit expensive.
5) RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
If you are looking for stylish and elegance in an air purifier but still meet your desire for better and cleaner air, then, RabbitAir MinusA2 is your ideal choice. It is touted as an intelligent and brainiest purifier. Fitted with wireless internet capabilities hence enabling you to monitor and control air quality from wherever you are. It has a CADR rating of 180 on smoke in its highest setting. It comes with the ability to customize your filters to your need. Besides, it has a BioGs Hepa Filter that can trap allergens and particles 0.3 Micron in size at 99.7% efficiency and over 99% efficiency for particles of less than 0.1% micron.
The filter also reduces buildups of common allergens, growth of bacteria, and prolongs optimal filter efficiency. Besides that, Rabbit MinusaA2 features a 6-stage cycle HEPA filtration. This involves; pre-filter that traps large sized allergens. Medium filter for airborne particles larger than 1 Micron such as pet dander. BioGs Hepa Filter that traps microns of size 0.3 with 99.97% efficiency thus supporting filter efficiency and prolong filter life. Customized filter ranging from germ defense, pet allergy, or toxin remover. Charcoal-based activated carbon filter and the last stage of the Negative Ion Generator that fortifies the air and freshen the indoor environment.
- Weight: 23.9 pounds
- 6-stage HEPA filtration
- Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.2 x 10.7 inches
- Advanced filtration with HEPA
- Favorable noise level: 20.8 to 45.6
- It can efficiently serve rooms of up to 815 sq. ft.
- Applies 6-stage HEPA filtration
- Customized Air Filter
- Efficient filtration process
- It has a CADR rating of 180 on smoke, 200 on pollen, and 193 on dust.
- Customized Panel
- Auto sleep mode
- Exceptionally low noise of 20.8 decibels
- Long-lasting filters
- 5-year warranty
- Fairly heavy
6) Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
Are you looking for an air cleaner designed for all home environment and ready to work on smoke and house odor effectively? WINIX 5300-2 Air Cleaner is the ideal choice in these best air purifiers for smoke. It has a CADR rating of 360 sq. ft and best suited for medium to large living spaces, kitchen, and bedrooms. It employs a 3-stage air cleaning mechanism featuring an odor reducing carbon filter, True Hepa, and Winix PlasmaWave Technology.
This Winix PlasmaWave Technology acts as a permanent filter to fully break down allergens and odors with no harmful ozone. The purifier boost of delivery airflow of 236 CFM and a noise level of 27.8 Decibels. It has a smart sensor that gauges the quality of air. Depending on the level the sensor adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed
- Dimensions: 14.9 x 7.8 x 23.6 inches
- Weight:18 pounds
- Filtration: 3 stages with an AOC (Advanced Odor Control) Carbon Filter, True HEPA, and Winix PlasmaWave Technology
- Noise Level: 27.8 decibels
- Best suited for medium rooms up to 360 sq. ft.
- HEPA Filter replacement indicator
- Has Smart Sensors that adjusts the fan’s activity acc
- Uses efficient odor eliminating PlasmaWave filter
- The sleep-mode feature adjusts fan speed and automatically dim the light for a comfortable sleep
- Energy star and CARB certified
- Efficiently serves rooms of up to 360 sq. ft.
- A bit pricey compared to other models with more superior functioning
7) Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
Are you looking for an air purifier that gives you the freedom to breathe while delivering the highest volume of clean air while using less energy and less noise? You will not go wrong with a Blue pure 211+ Air purifier. It is a product that combines, passion for performance, innovation, and design to give you quality air. It is an air purifier designed perfectly for the smoke.
Blue pure 211+ Air purifier uses HEPASilent filtration technology to remove 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.1 microns. It boasts as the only air cleaner to have been verified as 100% of models for performance with AHAM for Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), US EPA for ENERGY STAR rating, and CARB for safe ozone.
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 20.4 inches
- Noise levels: 31 decibels on low setting and 56 decibels on the highest setting
- Surface area: small and medium rooms up to 540 sq. ft.
- 1-button control
- 3-stage filtration: pre-filter, Swedish filter technology, and activated carbon filter
- 99% efficiency in pollen, pet dander, dust, mold, bacteria, and viruses capture
- Operates quietly at 31 to 56 decibels
- AHAM certified
- Able to serve larger rooms of up to 540 sq. ft.
- Uses machine washable pre-filters thus easy maintenance
- Efficient energy consumption of 30 – 61 watts
Click here to see the current price
8) Bulex HEPA Air Purifier
Bulex AF 3222 is the latest entrant to the market in this category. Inspired by nature, it boasts of 4 stage filtration system hence its ability to capture particles as small as 0.01 Micron. It is designed according to aerodynamic principles to deliver high performance. It has less heat generated, and so less need for fan cooling. Bulex has a copper motor to give higher torque and smaller resistance than brushless motors to promote energy efficiency. Also, it has a centrifugal blower that makes it able to spiral air up toward the ceiling circulating in all directions. This makes Bulex AF 3222 a good choice for the best air purifier for smoke.
- Weight: 5.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 8 x 13.6 x 8.3 inches
- 4 stage purification process
- Customized Fan Speed
- Automatic Timer
- Filter Reset Reminder
- unique lagoon blue night light to give you a peaceful night
- It comes with a led touch panel.
- Noise levels of 32 Db
- made up of ABS harmless material
- True HEPA Filter for 99.97% Purification,
- 4-Stage Filtration
- Timing Function
- Sleep Mode
- Night Light,
- Easy to Set Air Purifier
- Perfect for Bedroom
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Cannot serve large rooms effectively
Click here to see the current price
9) Germ Guardian AC4100 Air Purifier
Germ Guardian AC100 is AHAM verified and rated for its ability to clean tobacco smoke, dust, and pollen from rooms. Its compact design is ideal for small spaces at home or in offices. Germ Guardian AC100 has a true HEPA filter that reduces 99.99% of harmful germs, smoke particles as small as 0.3 Micron. It has a UV light that helps kill airborne viruses such as Influenza, staph, rhinovirus, besides, it works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
Its pre-filter traps allergens, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter. The activated carbon filter reduces odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more. The air cleaner filters the air in small rooms up to 78 square feet with a CADR rating: dust 56, pollen 76, and smoke 50.
- Weight: 4.85 pounds
- Dimensions:7.5 x 6.5 x 11 inches
- CADR RATING: Smoke 50, Dust 56, and Pollen 76
- Optional UV C light
- Quietly operates on a low-speed function
- Utilizes UV C to kill viruses and allergens
- Settings: 3 Speed settings and an optional UV C light.
- Incredibly quiet in operation
- Filters last longer than their peers
- 3 filtration process with an added UV-C
- Its compact size
- Not Energy Star rated
10) Airthereal APH260 Air Purifier
Both CARB and ETL certified as an amazingly effective product and the best air purifier for smoke. APH260 air purifiers filter out 99.97% of fine particles as small as 0.3 microns. It is equipped with PM2.5 sensors and air quality indicators, it keeps you updated with the current air quality status and significantly improves the air quality. It comes with a 7 in 1 filtration system comprising of an activated carbon filter that eliminates smoke and smell.
The carbon filter combines four filters consisting of a cold catalyst, nano mineral, molecular sieve, and a photocatalyst filter. These are all geared toward eliminating all types of odors plus inhibiting harmful toxins. Besides that, it has a pre-filter and a True HEPA filter to clear airborne particles as small as 0.03 micron.
The cleaner has a smart control that measures the quality of air around, this, in turn, enables the unit to automatically select the correct air purification mode according to your environment. Its CADR rating is 152 CFM meaning that it purify an area up to 355 sq.
- Weight: 10.4 Pounds
- CADR: 152 CFM
- Room Coverage: 355sq.ft.
- Noise Level: 28 dB
- Dimension: 13×6.7×21.2 inch
- 7 in 1 Filtration process with a true HEPA and a Carbon Activated Filter
- Filter Change Reminder
- Optional UV-C and Anion function
- Uses HEPA filter 99.97% purification efficiency
- Uses smart sensors for monitoring quality air control
- It can serve small and medium rooms 355 sq. ft. max
- It has a sleep mode feature
- Has filter change alert feature
- Not ozone-free
11) Alen BreatheSmart 75
Alen BreatheSmart 75 is an air purifier you can live with and a perfect one for large rooms and open concept spaces. The purifier is embedded with an intuitive intelligence smart laser sensor that detects and monitors air and self-adjusts to address the challenges of your ever-changing environment. This ability makes it compete well in the best air purifier for the smoke category
Alen BreatheSmart 75 boasts about its powerful 3-stage filtration process. Besides its true HEPA filter, it combines its mechanical filters with the ionizer to push the limit of trapping 99.97% of allergens as small as 0.3 microns. It also boasts of an antimicrobial layer that captures and inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi.
It is quietly powerful with the ability to cover 1300 sq. ft every half hour, perfectly tuned to adjust noise levels to 44db for its speed 4 fan and 49db on Turbo mode. The purifier has an intelligent sensor technology that lets you know the status of the air quality around you.
- CADR of 347 cfm
- Coverage of 1300 sq. Ft
- Weight 27 pounds
- Filtration- 3 stage with a True HEPA filter, Mechanical filters with ionizer, and an antimicrobial layer
- Noise level of max 39dB and 49dB when on Turbo
- Intelligent sensors
- Large Room coverage: 1300 square feet
- Great air filtration process, with True HEPA filter
- Well-built with the highest quality materials
- WhisperMax technology
It is a little bit pricey
12) IQAIR GC MULTI GAS
Termed as the world leader in the purifying industry, it has the highest quality filtration process and an amazingly effective fan power giving it an ability to effectively clean 1125 sq. ft room space. Its 4-stage air cleaning process enables the purifier to undertake the process with precision. The GC MULTI GAS has a HyperHEPA filter, cartridge-based activated carbon-filter, carbon-based chemisorption, and post-filter sleeve that work toward removing VOC and odors effectively. This, in addition to destroying harmful chemicals and capturing ultrafine particles and pollutants of up to, 0.1microns.
It is well built with high grade and quality materials and boast a 3D ultra-seal no leakage design that prevents the escape of air back into the room without being subjected to its thorough filtration process. It perfectly fits well under this category of best air purifiers for smoke.
IQAIR GC MULTI GAS has a powerful cleaning 6 fan speed that can go up to 300 CFMs to quickly replace the room with clean air. This happens with just a noise level of 59dB. Its housing is double-walled and with shock absorbers to hold the fan secure thus a quieter operation. It comes with a remote control and control pad making it easier to adjust settings.
- CADR of 300 cfm
- Coverage of 1125 sq. Ft
- Weight -35 pounds
- Filter- HyperHEPA filter, cartridge-based activated carbon-filter, carbon-based chemisorption, and post-filter sleeve
- Noise level of 59 dB
- Control via remote
- 4 stage air filtration process
- Minimal power consumption
- Durable construction
- 100% Healthy Technology
- A little bit pricey in this category
13) Dyson Pure Cool, TP04
DYSON TP04 is christened as the only purifying tower capable of cleaning a whole room effectively. It can sense pollution events automatically, capture ultrafine pollutants, and project cleaner air across the whole room using air multiplier technology. It has a CADR rating of 600 cfm with a room capacity of 700 sq ft. This makes it fit very well in this category of best air purifiers for smoke
The air cleaner senses pollutants in real-time and reports air quality them VOC PM2.5 and NO2. Using its sealed 360-degree HEPA and activated carbon filters can effectively capture 99.97% microscopic allergens and pollutants that as small as 0.3 microns and report directly to a Dyson app on a smart device air multiplier technology can deliver over 77 gallons per second of powerful and smooth purified air throughout the room. The purifier does double work of purifying as well as cooling. It has been awarded parent tested parent approved award as an identity of approved families trust.
DYSON PURE COOL, TP04 is also smart and Alexa compatible with an inbuilt voice control feature. The purifiers are asthma and allergy-friendly and have been certified purifiers by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- CADR of 600 cfm
- Coverage of 700 sq. Ft
- Weight 10.98 pounds
- Filtration-Glass HEPA filter
- Noise level of max 42.3 dB
- Alexa Compatible
- Alexa compatible
- Backward airflow mode
- Intelligent reporting
- Real-time pollutant sensors
- Quick and easy filter changing
- Little bit pricey
We have taken the time to review various fits that are best for the smoke. This has been done after extensive and careful research done by our team. We hope that we have given key features that will guide you to make that purchase that will perfectly fit our environment and make the air smoke free. Once again, key features to consider are such as your room size, cost, ability to eliminate smoke and other harmful pollutants, filtration system, and ease of finding replacing filters. Others are, the technology employed, power consumption, noise levels, and of course compatibility to WIFI and Alexa.
Summary of the best air purifiers reviewed:
- Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
- LEVOIT LV-H126 Air Purifier for Home
- Austin Air HealthMate Standard Air Purifier B400B1
- LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier
- RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
- Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- Bulex HEPA Air Purifier
- Germ Guardian AC4100 Air Purifier
- Airthereal APH260 Air Purifier
- Alen BreatheSmart 75
- 1QAIR GC MULTI GAS
- DYSON TP04