Signs that you need a dehumidifier
- Walls feel damp when you touch them.
- Stored items smell like mold and have visible mold spots.
- Water run-off may be due to water sipping in from the surrounding environment. Additionally, the damaged concrete floor or the house is built on a low plain.
- Watermarks and stains.
- Rotting wood.
- Condensation on surfaces. Water droplets or vapor on the glass window makes the room seem foggy.
- Visible mold spots on ceilings, walls, and ceilings or on other surfaces. Excess moisture creates a breeding ground for mold.
- There is a musty smell.
- Damp Basement
If yes, that is a sign that the humidity level in the air is above the recommended level of 50%. Or simply put the level of water vapor in the air. When humidity is above that level, it has adverse effects both on the environment that we live in. This also can affect our general health. To bring the humidity level back to the recommended level then you need the right apparatus. That apparatus is called a Dehumidifier.
A dehumidifier is an electrical appliance that reduces and maintains the level of humidity in the air. This usually is for health or comfort reasons. It can also be to eliminate musty odor and prevent the growth of mildew. Keeping the environment dry is critical in fighting and controlling the adverse effects caused by a high level of humidity.
Frequently symptoms such as sore throat, itchy eyes, chest congestion are symptoms of mold and spores in the air. Inhaling mold spores over a long period can cause adverse effects on your health. This is why it is important to get rid of excess humidity from the house by getting a dehumidifier. This is your first defense in fighting high humidity conditions.
- Collection tank: You can either choose a dehumidifier that requires the disposal of the collected water manually or automatically. Most of the commercial dehumidifiers are automatic since they dehumidify a large area.
- Pint capacity: This is the amount of humidity that a humidifier can remove from a room in 24 hours. Home and residential use models with 70 pints. For commercial use, you have to get models with over 70-pint capacity.
- Hydrostat or Humidistat: Models that have this feature can regulate themselves by measuring the relative humidity within an environment. They make adjustments and maintain a certain humidity level as set by the user.
- Temperature: Some dehumidifiers can work better at low temperatures while others can’t. It is therefore important to check the temperature range that is more suitable for your use.
- Auto-restart: This is a very useful feature on a dehumidifier. Models with auto-restart power by themselves back on to their previous setting upon power loss and back.
- Caster wheels and portability: Caster wheels make the dehumidifier portable thus making transportation easy. Most of the models have caster wheels. Also the smaller the model the more potable it is due to having less weight.
- Noise level: Though all the dehumidifiers are generally noisy. This is due to the compressors and fans that work by moving air through them. Models with a decibel rating of 40 to 50 is a quiet dehumidifier.
- Air filter: Models that have this feature are able to clean the air that passes through them. Preferably get an air purifier dehumidifier combo
- A programmable timer that can be programmed according to your needs.
Environmental factors to consider
- The number of occupants: The number of people in a home impact the moisture produced. The more the occupants the higher the humidity level. If you have 1-5 people then a 12l dehumidifier is more ideal. Otherwise, if you are a big family then the 20L dehumidifier is more suitable.
- Size of the room: Dehumidifiers are sized using the capacity of moisture they can remove within 24 hr. period. The bigger the area, the bigger the capacity of the dehumidifier. The sizing chart by sylvane can guide you further.
- Room condition: It is very important to know the condition of the room that you intend to dehumidify. If it is too damp then you need a large capacity dehumidifier. These models are more powerful and more efficient in dehumidifying rooms.
From the above, it is evident that a dehumidifier should be part and parcel of our home appliance.